One of my favorite healthy snacks is hummus. Originating in the Middle East, hummus is made mainly out of chick peas and blended into a dip like consistency. Hummus is best served with pita bread, veggies or flat bread. You can purchase hummus at the store, but it is just as easy and even healthier to make it yourself. Hummus is not just tasty, the health benefits of eating hummus are truly amazing.
Benefits of Eating Hummus
- The chickpeas in hummus can actually lower your cholesterol. In a study published in the June 2008 “Journal of the American Dietetic Association,” researchers investigated the effect of around 700 g of chickpeas weekly with a group of adults with high cholesterol. The researchers found that chickpeas effectively reduced the cholesterol levels of participants by an average of 16 mg/dl (livestrong.com).
- Chickpeas are high in antioxidants, which can slow oxidative damage to our bodies. Garlic and lemon juice also found in hummus is full of wonderful age fighting nutrients!
- Chickpeas are a great source of fiber containing more than 10 g of fiber in just 1 serving.
- Hummus is gluten-free, nut free and dairy free for those who have allergies (make sure to check the labels).
- Tahini is a source of calcium, protein and B vitamins. Tahini is a good source of essential fatty acids which helps to support healthy skin.
- Eating legumes regularly can promote weight loss! Rich in fiber, chickpeas distend the stomach creating a feeling of fullness.
- People who eat legumes are less likely to develop diabetes.
- Hummus contains Omega 3 fatty acids, which are great for improving intelligence and maintaining a healthy heart.
- The amino acids found in hummus can also help you get a good night’s sleep and uplift your mood.
Instead of reaching for the onion dip, try eating some hummus and promote a healthier you.
What you’ll need:
1 can (19 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup sesame Tahini
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
How to mix the ingredients together:
Combine all ingredients in food processor and pulse to purée.
Enjoy with flat bread or try it with cut up veggies. My favorite pairings are slices of red pepper, cucumbers and carrots with my hummus. Delicious.